Starting at $15/hr
Part-Time 0-35 hours weekly, 20-40 hours in peak season
The Adventure Guide is a Ministerial position. Ministerial staff render their work, stewardship, relationships and behavior as evidence of being followers of Jesus Christ while embracing and affirming MHA’s Christian mission, vision, beliefs and standards of conduct. They are responsible for defining, cultivating and leading MHA’s Christian community, conference programs, and retreats. All staff join into our community life of prayer, worship and spiritual activity, including but not limited to staff meetings, attendance at programs, Bible Study, and staff gatherings.
As an Adventure Guide you’ll be trained to lead a safe, exciting and memorable experience for your guests on the Sequoia Aerial Adventure course -- a 40+ element challenge course in a breathtaking redwood forest. Starting at $15hr plus tips you’ll work alongside fellow adventurers, develop new skills and have opportunities to grow into other positions like guiding the Redwood Canopy Tour.
Work 5 days a week, or 5 days a month. As part-timers, our team loves having the freedom to pair this role with other pursuits such as a degree, a creative side hustle, or any of the exhilarating outdoor activities the Santa Cruz mountains have to offer.
As an Adventure Guide, on a given workday you will do the following:
- Arrive at the scheduled shift start time ready to go regardless of the weather!
- Co-lead tours of up to 10 guests on our adventure courses. Over time you may be trained to do other things like run a climbing wall for guests or supervise open gym time.
- Follow all the procedures you’ve been trained in to make sure the course, equipment and environment is ready for every guest to have a positive experience.
- Create an engaging and inspiring experience where each guest is challenged to consider their relationships with others and God.
- Assist with closing duties so everything is put away properly and ready for the next day.
The Adventure Guide is responsible for delivering physically and emotionally engaging adventure tours on our aerial adventure courses while demonstrating excellent customer service by acting with a “guest comes first” attitude. Guides connect and respond to the needs of guests while following all operational policies and procedures to minimize risk and ensure quality program delivery in a manner consistent with MHA’s mission, vision and values.
Key Job Accountabilities:
- Ensure compliance with MHA's Infectious Disease Exposure Control Plan Protocols.
- Co-lead adventure tours on our aerial adventure courses (Sequoia, Discovery Grove, Zayante). Other activities may include, but are not limited to indoor and outdoor climbing walls, and fieldhouse (gymnasium) supervision.
- Properly fit, train, and monitor guests in the use of all personal protective equipment.
- Provide for an emotionally, physically, and spiritually safe environment with both guests and staff.
- Assist with daily opening and closing of the program and support areas.
- Conduct visual and tactile inspections of all hardware and equipment being used.
- Effectively lead guest activities to ensure an engaging, informative and inspiring experience.
- Meet curriculum delivery guidelines specific to the program and needs of the client.
- Report and log any safety concerns or incidents/accidents.
- Attend in-service rescue refresher trainings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Do you love working with children and enjoy the outdoors? You may love working at Mount Hermon!
Experiential Educators facilitate educational outdoor science field trips for elementary aged students and lead a cohort of kids at our After School Adventures program all at our beautiful redwood camp facility. All our work uses God's creation and outdoor activity to encourage students to consider their relationship with God, friends and loved ones. You can expect to work 5 days per week alongside other like minded individuals and to be a part of a team that is passionate about sharing the love of Jesus with students. On a given day, you may teach a group of students about the local riparian ecosystem, facilitate our roped tree climbing activity, or participate in a game of hide and seek in the redwood forest. No two days are ever the same! Experiential Educators assume responsibility for a group of students ranging from 1st to 8th grade while teaching science content and leading activities in the outdoors through MHA’s Outdoor Science School and After-School Adventure Program in a manner consistent with MHA’s mission, vision and values.
The Experiential Educator is a Ministerial position. Ministerial staff render their work, stewardship, relationships and behavior as evidence of being followers of Jesus Christ while embracing and affirming Mount Hermon Association, Inc.’s (“MHA”) Christian mission, vision, beliefs and standards of conduct. They are responsible for defining, cultivating and leading MHA’s Christian community, conference programs, and retreats. All staff join into our community life of prayer, worship and spiritual activity, including but not limited to staff meetings, attendance at programs, Bible Study, and staff gatherings.
Key Job Accountabilities:
- Model a genuine Christian lifestyle, encouraging and nurturing expansion of campers’ outdoor science knowledge as well as spiritual growth.
- Read, understand, and experientially teach the curricula for all grade levels taught.
- Observe student behavior, respond to health and safety concerns, and deal appropriately with improper/inappropriate behavior to adapt to students with special needs.
- Recognize hazard in the outdoor setting and respond appropriately to those hazards.
- Facilitate challenge course and climbing wall activities.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by Supervisor.